Wednesday, December 12, 2007

During Advent, I have promised myself to spend less time blogging and on the internet. But I thought that I would post the link to an interesting blog article. I know that during the Christmas season there are some people concerned about the 'pagan' origins of Christmas. For those of you forced to debate this issue, I thought that I would give you some ammunition.

Sure enough, this time of year a variety of Messianics, Jehovah's Witnesses, non-denominational types, and others, are out to prove that Christmas is pagan and those who celebrate it are engaged in sinful activity. I have seen the paltalk rooms and the websites, filled with hefty doses of discredited 19th century historical treatises. I am not remotely convinced by these arguments, because I do not accept the basic logic that leads one to conclude Christian holidays are pagan.

The rest of this article can be found here:http://blog.ancient-future.net/2007/12/christmas-is-pagan-hardly-origins-of.html The comments that follow the author's article are interesting also.

4 comments:

ignorant redneck said...

YULE GET MY CHRISTMAS TREE WHEN YOU PRY IT FROM MY COLD DEAD FINGERS!

deb said...

AMEN. LOL

Harespring said...

I don't think anyone sensible would claim that Christmas IS a pagan festival. But, the Christian religion in all its forms has been very clever in bolting on major Christian festivals (Easter = oestre) to much older ones. Those who are pagans know this, but do not resent it. Such is life.

deb said...

Sorry that it took me so long to post your comment harespring. I took time off from my blog for Advent. Sorry.