Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Rebekah Pearl Anast Part Three-Life After Marriage

This article will be slightly different then the previous two. Although I am still using her own quotes to highlight Rebekah Pearl Anast's life, I am not following a specific chronological order. For the most parts these quotes can be found on a site called WWW.7XSunday.net which she and her hubby run.

Since her marriage, Rebekah has moved to a Navajo Reservation outside of Gallup, New Mexico. The couple have six children named, Joseph Courage, Ryshoni Joy, Hannah Sunshine,Elijah Music and Chaiyah Eve. In addition to 7xsunday, Rebekah runs a site called Dreaming Awake in which she details the dreams that she has about a apocolyptical future for our country. Together she and her husband also run another forum called Urban Exodus.

Rebekah and her husband, Gabe, had a much greater part in Debbi Pearl's book, Created to Be His HelpMeet then I had thought. This is from a thread on 7xsunday. Debbi Pearl seems to be the author of this acknowledgment.

My son-in-law Gabriel Anast and my daughter Rebekah Joy Anast gave me the idea and much of the information for the section on the three types of men, which made understanding men so much simpler. Beka also provided examples, ideas, and Scripture included in the other parts of this book. I consider her co-author of this book.

In a plea for money from the followers of his site, her husband writes:

However, recently, since February, I have been studying full time. I have not been working anymore. All I’ve been doing is studying the Word. And I did that because I think God told me to. It’s not because I wanted to... it really scared me. And we were really poor for those months. And a handful of people have supported us here and there by giving us a bag of wheat or food a few dollars. And that’s fine... And we’re happy to live poor. We’ve done that our whole married life, Rebekah and I. We’re good at it. And I should say more or less; we haven’t always lived as poor as we are now, we certainly have had more money in the past, but that is not the point, I’m just going through the situation...

As the sole provider for his family, it would seem that Gabe Anast would not want to voluntarily surrender his income. When he wrote his plea, Rebekah was pregnant with their sixth child. Neither parent appear to have held any paying job during her pregnancy.

Later in a thread entitled, How Is Beka, Rebekah confirms that the family is without electricity.
Gabe's quote of my statement "the kids need clothes" has to be put into American context. Nobody is running around naked. Yeah, so what the electricity got cut off (in the summer). We cooked outside and had a big time doing it. Gabe takes our needs to heart because he wants to give me everything; and does give me all that matters.

During previous pregnancies she self medicated with herbal treatments. What follows is her opinion on the preeclampsia which she believed that she was experiencing with her other five pregnancies.

The short version is that I believe preeclampsia is a condition that is secondary to inflammation (at least, in my case.) During my last pregnancy I used Bilberry tonic to control it, and even reverse it to some extent until the baby was born. There is a thread on WTM on dealing with preeclampsia on which I posted some of the research.

As someone who loves to write, the following saddens me for Rebekah. Apparently, her husband can choose to take time off from supporting his family, but she can not engage in an activity that she enjoys. Even worse are her references to her husband as her Lord.

http://www.7xsunday.net/forum/index.php/topic,21637.30.html

In fact, if your worship of God IN ANY WAY short-changes your husband or son, or makes them feel shut out, then IMO, it is not in spirit and in truth. This, I believe, includes time "writing to God" when your husband is sitting beside you. :-\Remember that your husband is your lord. Would you write about your King's bad temper whilest he sat on the throne watching you and frowning?

I know that in my own life, I would have to be majorly sleep deprived to maintain the American idea of "time alone with God" and meet my family's needs. I have learned to subscribe to Christ's version of a good Devotion and worship God in spirit and in truth wherever I am, all day long. This also helps me stay cheerful, because my time of devotion to God is over all and in all that I do. Not that I am perfect, but this is what I am fighting for and trying to attain every day.

Also, if your writing (like mine) alienates your family, you may have to lay it down completely. I love to write. It is my favorite thing in the world... second to my family. If writing about them, or about anything, makes them feel second, or in a waiting line for my attention, or like I am telling on them... then I quit. I don't write about my family these days. I don't keep a diary like I did all my life and for the last 2 years I haven't written much at all except for an occasional post on WTM or 7XS at my husband's request... Soon my family will be grown, and my writing days will bloom again. But I know I won't regret laying aside the pen/keyboard for these few years.

Now remember... count the mistakes you haven't made. God bless your journey forward!


I do not have any problems with women choosing to give birth at home if they are under the care of a qualified professional. On another site called, WellTell me, Rebekah posts under the name, Forever Girl. This quote is number fifteen in the thread.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,353.0.html

Now, I have had 4 "unassisted" homebirths. It did save us 20,000 dollars all told, and has been a thrilling and bonding experience for both my husband and I. With just the two of us, I feel free to pray out loud at the top of my voice (or scream as the case may be), *dress* comfortably, do whatever is comfortable, and be in my own surroundings. If I had a medical condition, we'd make the appropriate adjustments.
Since writing this on February 24, 2007, Rebekah has had two more children. It appears that all six of her children have been unassisted home births.

In this statement Rebekah Anast takes passive aggressive rudeness to an entirely new level. A mother had asked how to handle a set of parents who refused to listen to her advice to follow the Pearls' training methods. This is Forevergirl's(Rebekah's) answer.

It is our policy, when bombarded by foolish people, to pull together as a family. We keep our kids with us. We tell them why. I do not engage in personal or entertaining conversation with the woman. I stay close to my husband and children and focus entirely on meeting his needs, and keeping my own children orderly. I read books to them quietly. If the woman asks me a question, I answer briefly and cheerfully, and go back to my "duty." If she engages in being a mother and help meet... then I interact with her and help if she needs help. If her focus is on herself and getting me to focus on her, then I disengage and go back to focusing purely on my family. If we are at a playground, then I play with the children... staying with them at all times.

This makes "hanging out" very pleasant for a woman whose goal is to be a help meet... it makes hanging out miserable for a woman whose goal is to get attention. She won't want to come back.

We also try to meet at a public place and keep it short... and do not engage in conversations that are pointless and erred. We don't disagree or fight, we just cease to engage


Can you imagine being treated this way by someone whose house you were visiting? Jesus met with prostitutes and tax collectors but Rebekah won't talk with a woman with unruly kids.

Rebekah seems to have absorbed her father’s irrational fear of homosexuals. This is what she claims to tell her very young children about homosexuals.

This answer comes with as much of an answer as I CAN give:
"Sodomites are men that like other men instead of women... like sleeping with each other... and women that like other women. Sometimes they dress as a woman instead of a man... not the way God created them. Sometimes they also want little kids instead of a regular wife. This is very evil. It is safest for you to stay away from them and stay near Daddy. God hates their sin and destroyed a whole city with fire because of all the sodomites that lived there."

This is said without much emotion, but with gravity. It is my intention to answer curiosity and dispel fear...


In an effort to prevent her from feeling competitive with her six year old daughter, Rebekah notes that she remembers that everything belongs to her husband. (DH means Dear Husband)

It really helped me to remind myself "this kitchen belongs to DH, the food belongs to DH, the meal is all about DH, and both me and our daughter are helpers for DH..."

With this in mind I can tell my daughter "yes, you can cook dinner for Dad. Remember he likes everything cleaned up as you go... let me know if you need any help." In this way, my daughter has a focus: Dad. She is learning to please a man, not herself. She is learning to be a help meet - not just a cook.

Also, in this way my daughter has the freedom to grow and mature as a woman that is learning to please a man... rather than a girl who is a slave to her mother. She isn't my helper - she's Daddy's helper. This perspective will make a girl WAY happier to stay at home longer... not in such a hurry to get married.


I thought that Christians were not supposed to have idols and yet Rebekah does sound as if she is advocating a type of husband worship. Her fear that she might one day be jealous of her daughter is troubling also. The little girl is only six!

On a strange note, Rebekah and Gabe have were sued by the Zuni Indian Tribe of the Navajo Nation over water rights. I have no idea what happened with the case or why the Anasts are allowed to live on the reservation.

http://www.zunibasin.com/documents/2142.pdf

The Pearls point to their children as examples of the adults that their methods will produce. Yet, Rebekah does not seem like the type of person that I would want my children to emulate. Not only does she appear paranoid but I wonder if she is suffering from postpartum depression. I find it difficult to believe that loving parents would want this future for their children.

I apologize for being late in getting this information up but sometimes digging for the information on this group leaves me feeling emotionally worn out.

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, i'm really impressed with your research. did you know they all post on some health food sites too? and michael is on some member's only bible sites.

this is unbelievable. it is illegal to live with children with no electricity for more than a couple days. if social services knew, they would have all their children removed. believe me, i've worked in homeless shelters and i've seen all kinds of women lose their kids for a heck of a lot less than what this lady is writing about publicly!!!

that's my thing. ok, finally SOMEBODY is going to actually take some action. check this out:
http://whynottrainachild.com/tag/home-depot/

i encourage ALL your readers to do this!! please.

it has to be action. it has to be. we are all singing to the choir here. everybody is afraid to call anybody out. this needs to be exposed and something needs to happen.

april is child abuse awareness month. let's try to do something! they are finally getting the catholic clergy for all the terrible crimes against children they let happen for at least 100 years. if we just keep trying to "reason" with these people, nothing is going to change. michael pearl just laughs at us. we know about this and we are materially culpable, just like the pope, if we don't help bring some justice to these children.

deb said...

Thank you, Lottie. I think that the Home Depot letter is a good idea.

I know that the Pearls write on a lot of health sites. Apparently, they are very big on herbal remedies and they don't mind giving out medical advice.

shadowspring said...

Ugh! What a sick and twisted life Rebekah Anast has created for her children. Reading this post literally made me nauseous.

It is blatant idolatry to equate serving God with waiting hand and foot on a man.

Rebekah Anast is mentally, spiritually and emotionally abusing her daughter by teaching her that she was only created to serve a man, and not to delight the heart of God by fully expressing her own talents, gifts, desires and passions in a life lived solely for Jesus- not her dad or any other man.

Passive-aggressive shunning is evil and wicked. Reading that she purposely treats people this way caused me to lose all sympathy for her, in spite of the abusive home she grew up in. She seems determined to pass on the curse to future generations and to infect anyone she can with this false religion.

Ugh. Horrible.

Unknown said...

I have to say one thing to Lottie Jump.
It is not illegal, nor has it ever been illegal, to live without electricity.
I do know a couple of states have made it a crime, but that is a very misguided law.
For example, if this were true then the Amish would not exist.
Please do be careful about what you believe or share with others.
Check your facts first.

Unknown said...

THey do clearly teach an dlive out a "doctrine" tha tis not Scriptural.
Yes, woman was created as a help meet for man.
But as humans, we are equal in the site of God, and we are each responsible before the Lord for our Spiritual condition.
I believe in God first, husband second, children third.
Put God first, and He will bring everything else into proper order.

Anonymous said...

the amish are obviously exempt. but did you read what i wrote? I WORKED IN HOMELESS SHELTERS. I SAW THE SOCIAL WORKERS COME AND TAKE THE CHILDREN BECAUSE THERE WAS NO ELECTRICITY OR WATER OR HEAT OR WHATEVER UTILITY. then the women would have to come to shelter to get their children back if they couldn't afford to get the utilities turned back on. i didn't say i agreed with it, i'm saying it will get your children taken away if you aren't officially amish or native american or whatever. you can't just be ghetto fabulous redneck hillbillys and keep your kids in that condition.

and dude, why is she jealous of her daughter? incest. nasty.

Unknown said...

I read your post with interest, Debra. I did not read your previous posts about Mrs. Anast. My husband and I adopted two children at the ages of 7 and 8 from overseas. The abuses they endured while with their biological mom were horrible as was what happened to them when they were dumped on some horrible people. But the worst was the abandonment.

I read what you write about Mrs. Anast and if this was written during the Great Depression or even earlier, it would be a non-issue.

Do you realize what the Anasts are giving their children? I look back on what my parents did for me by staying married and keeping me and if they did NOTHING else, they gave me more than I can ever EVER thank God and them for.

Can I tell you all the kids I know from growing up whose parents would probably be lauded, yet they did not keep their kids safe and they were sexually abused because the parents were not with them and trusted other people who "looked" okay.

The Anasts, while living a different life than most, should be commended for their courage, not picked at and reviled. There are few people I would let take care of my kids. The Anasts would be one of those families...

deb said...

John, I will remark on your comment later. But first let me point out that the Anasts are not married, they are shacking up. I don't care that they aren't married but let's don't call their relationship something that it isn't.

deb said...

John, I will remark on your comment later. But first let me point out that the Anasts are not married, they are shacking up. I don't care that they aren't married but let's don't call their relationship something that it isn't.

Morticia said...

John, why should they be commended for putting their children in extreme poverty? This isn't a man who can't find a job, this is a man who is CHOOSING to not work and let his family go without. Even during the Great Depression a man such as him would have been looked down upon. Apparently Gabe Anast hasn't gotten to I Tim. 5:8 or 2 Thessalonians 3:10 in his "studies" yet.
What are they showing and giving their children that is so good? They aren't married, so they must be teaching them that living together before marriage is okay. He doesn't work or support his family, so they are teaching that it is okay that a man be lazy while his family struggles to survive. She doesn't even get to have time to study the word and pray by herself, so it must be okay to put your husband's needs before God. I haven't seen them teach anything that is worth commending.
Great job Deb on exposing these people for who they really are.

Kateri said...

Rebecca sounds like she is mentally ill. Very sad. (Though I will say as a child who grew up with parents who deliberately chose poverty--no electric, running water, or even beds, and sometimes not enough food, social services where never able to make a case that there was neglect or abuse.I know that sometimes it takes a lot more then poverty and not having electricity to to justify removing children.)

Alice said...

Why do you say they are not married? So they don't have a license. They are married in God's eyes. They are not shacking up. You can't even compare them to an uncommitted couple.

Surely it does not make you feel better to say that?! You must have more understanding than you appear to have.

The letter certainly would be a non-issue to people who have the same values. We personally know families who go through seasons of trusting God for their income. What a lesson for the kids! Rebekah knows how to make much out of little, sounds like to me. They will be fine.

I'm just starting to realize that you are on a mission to defame this family. I understand if you think they are responsible for promoting child abuse. I hope you learn the truth soon! I'd be glad to share with you what I know to be true about their child rearing philosophy.

Anonymous said...

You people really hate the Pearls don't you? The Anasts are married, they just chose to be married by their ideas, not the states. They aren't "shacking up" as you say. Get a life!

Take their children - who do you think you are? Have you been to their home? Have you seen them abuse them? I know a lot of people who go on the road for months or years at a time, living without electricity, or "the comforts of home" and the world calls it an adventure. Most of the world lives without electricity. If you traveled at all you would not be so quick to call the Anasts life abusive. Most children around the globe live it what you would consider poverty, yet their parents love them dearly. Stop judging how others raise their family compared to how you "choose" to raise yours.

Alice said...

Sweet family--they have really encouraged us alot!

Lunar Eclipse said...

Interesting read.

Roxanne said...

It really amazes me of how today you women can ridicule and talk about someone that you don't even know. Not to mention, that today us christians are spoiled. Did you not know that in the beginning everyone was without electricity, without water.Why weren't some of you spoiled brats in foster care, or your generation before you. Even when I was young I had to carry water, go to an outhouse, and no one came to my house to take me away from my mom, It didn't hurt me, and today I enjoy my indoor plumbing, but I am more thankful for it. We made do, like our grand parents. We delivered babies, and none of us were taken to a hospital. Why don't you spend time doing your own research of your own history of your own family. Ask your parents how it was growing up, ask your grandparents, ask their grandparents, and then see that we are All not much different than Rebekah. Also, please ask them about how much more thankful they were than you all are now, having everything handed to you, going to a full fridge, and still standing there thinking you have nothing, or cry because your heat pump went out and your breaking a little sweat. Better yet, your plumbing gets clogged, and you have to run to the store to potty, because you can't go outdoors. Come on people get real, we choose our life, God is still good, he still answers prayers, and stop acting like a bunch of pharisees when we could be edifying, encouraging. As far as cooking for daddy. God bless her for teaching her daughter that. So many women today, act butch, and end up alone, and no one to spend their life with. They are bitter, angry, because they have to work, have a career, and then they wonder why their children don't want to be apart of their life. What happened to soft, sweet innocent loving lady like fairy tale women? All you women if you searched your hearts, deep down,you are lacking, missing that fairy tale. If you are not willing to at least try some of the things they write about and learn from them and experience the joy their teachings give, then be quiet and move to another site you agree with. I have personally experienced the joy and the love from marriage to child TRAINING NOT BEATING, REVERENCE NOT SLAVERY!! Read and apply in your life, and cast the mote out of your eye before you cast them out of your brother or sister's eye. I am tired of all the people that have tried to trash not just this family, but my Savior's name. Unless you have experienced any of this in your life, and you haven't tried what they write, and applied it for at least a week or month, you need to be still and listen to God. He is a small still voice that you are not listening too. God bless ALL of the PEARL'S!!! God bless my Saviour!!

Anonymous said...

Debi Pearl's mother is/was full blooded Indian.That makes Rebekah /1/4 part Indian ;which could be the reason she is able to live on the reservation.

She went to college on grants because the family was so poor , so I'm assuming she is aware of welfare and other assisting programs.This could explain Gabe's not working .

Anonymous said...

Having read the Pearl's stuff for 14-15 years , I am truely saddened by what has happened to Rebekah. She definately needs our prayers for her, her children and even Gabe who has gone off the deepend also. He actually, wasn't has stange as he now is.

Mike Pearl was/is a major influence on the way they live their life. Mike as you know advocates this "please a man at all costs" theology for women. Funny thing is he never pleases anyone but himself.What happened about loving your wife as your own flesh ?!

As a side note, Mike has not bothered to show up on time to work or quit his job because he is " a command man " and can't be bound by other men.{ THis is in the Helpmate book} Debi took in foster children for years and did all her side businesses I'm quessing to make money.How many women with five children take in foster children ?!

Obviously, Mike doesn't feel that a man providing for his family is a top priority. Unfortunately , for him scripture does. A man who doesn't provide for his family is worse then an infidel.

Anonymous said...

"What happened to soft, sweet innocent loving lady like fairy tale women? All you women if you searched your hearts, deep down,you are lacking, missing that fairy tale."

My "fairy tale" has involved a seriously ill child, cancer, death, and medical and financial issues galore. But actually, I think my "fairy tale" is more accurately called "real life," and I've chosen to be a strong, capable and determined woman, that my child and husband can rely on to run an efficient and productive household. You know, just like that feminist in Proverbs 31.

Jennifer K said...

With much apologies to the Police, I have amended their iconic song, "Roxanne," with some new lyrics:

Roxanne
you don't have to comment with such spite
those days are over
you don't have to be so damn uptight!

Lucy Marie said...

Today you left a comment on my blog about my husband's silly birthday deal that I wanted to respond to. You obviously have not read very many posts on my blog and have no idea what my marriage to my husband is like. I would appreciate it if next time you wish you leave a comment that is disrespectful to my husband that you take the time to explore my blog a little further and learn that my husband and I share a very happy, very fulfilling marriage and that he is a wonderful man.

Anonymous said...

deb, you should leave offensive comments on my blog. i enjoy them! it was funny, though, the whole $10 off thing. my birthday is at the end of the month, and i want a dishwasher. i keep telling them all, see that date marked on the calendar? i hope i have a dishwasher the next day. or i'm really gonna miss you guys. if i get that dishwasher, then i'll also have a fulfilled marriage. and i wish i got food stamps so i could cook as much food as this broad! damn. that sounds good.

Anonymous said...

Deb, after reading what kind of movies you watch and music you listen no wonder you write what you write. Your mind needs to be cleared up a little. Also please read "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" that might really help your judgment. I wonder where do you find time to go and pour dirt on others. Bible says: "...wives must be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things" and ... be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers,... teachers of good things" What you write is definitely not holy. Maybe you should read "Created to be his helpmeet". If we only minded our own business life would be so much better. Amy.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

This is a question for the webmaster/admin here at debrasrandomthoughts.blogspot.com.

May I use part of the information from your post right above if I give a link back to this site?

Thanks,
Thomas

Anonymous said...

Isn't this a catholic's blog? Aren't you supposed to imitate Christ? What is wrong with you? You make such condescending statements on your neighbors, point the fingers, and gossip. Judging a woman for training her daughter to respect and honor her father is wrong. Woman were made to be the helpmeets for men, read your Bible! Its in the very beginning in Genesis. Really dont you think you should be helping out the orphans and widows rather than picking apart the Pearls?

Anonymous said...

the most pathetic thing I have ever read! And seriously! Illegal to be without electricity? My husband and I are seriously considering putting up our dream house without electricity! and yes! we have kids. To attach the words incest to somebody's name like this is evil...

Anonymous said...

Rebekah gave some really good advice here, and you misconstrued her meaning repeatedly. I think her idea of focusing on her family rather than being drawn into useless conversation with women who just want attention or to be "right" is great.

Violet said...

The Pearl apologists are kind of creeping me out.

The criticism of idolizing the man of the house (even when he declines the simplest scriptural duties of providing for his family) sounds deserved to me, and confronting a brother or sister in Christ about problematic behavior IS in the Bible.

Anonymous said...

Didn't she basically "co-author" the Helpmeet book according to her Mother? So why didn't she get any of the proceeds from that book? It has sold a lot of copies. For successful "tax paying" citizens her father claims to have raised, it doesn't sound like they are doing well enough to pay any taxes. Not to mention the fact they have some water right issue with the Indiana. That doesn't sound like responsible citizenry to me. Why aren't her parents helping? Since they hand picked this husband...

Relying on God to help you is one thing. Not working or even looking for work is something entirely different. God does expect you to help yourself and work. I've noticed the family seems to pick and choose what in the Bible they care about and what they choose to ignore.

Her husband is choosing not to work because he "thinks" God has told him not to work and just to study the Bible. Well, I guess he doesn't realize that even the disciples worked by fishing, even after they were called to be Jesus's disciples...

Why would she be jealous of a 6 year old daughter? That is very creepy.

Anonymous said...

Really let's be very very cautious in our rush to judgement. From what I understand none of you know the Anasts personally. I find the comments about CPS and child abuse highly disturbing. Please do research on CPS and what they are all about before you ever consider turning anyone in to them. Remember we ALL will answer to God the Anasts and you included. They have the right to freedom of speech and you have the right to your freedom of speech in disagreement with them.

Anonymous said...

The Anasts Do not live on the reservation and never have. The federal government is suing everybody in an area south of Gallup And adjacent to the Zuni reservation over water rights on behalf of the Zunis. This is an example of how taking facts, and adding conjecture, can lead to untruths. There seems to be a lot of that here. Be careful.

Jessica said...

Jesus shows us how people were DESIGNED in the beginning to treat one another...by telling us to serve each other.

Of course God made a HELPER for the man and not a destroyer. The first human relationship was about helping one another, not about ruling one another.

It should still be that way for Christians. Jesus redeems us from the curse of sin in our relationships and now we're free to serve\help one another.